TOOLS USED TO SCREEN FOR ALCOHOL & DRUG USE
Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT) was developed by the World Health Organization in as a simple way to screen and identify people who are at risk of developing alcohol problems.
The AUDIT test focuses on identifying the preliminary signs of hazardous drinking and mild dependence. It is used to detect alcohol problems experienced within the last year. It is one of the most accurate alcohol screening tests available, rated 92 percent effective in detecting hazardous orharmful drinking.
The Drug Abuse Screening Test (DAST-10) consists of 10 questions about your possible involvement with drugs not including alcoholic beverages during the past 12 months. Using drugs other than those required for medical reason can affect your health and some prescribed medications you take.
RESOURCES FOR TREATING ALCOHOL & DRUG USE
- Treatment Resources Locator in Arizona
- Self Help Groups Locator
- Arizona Region of Narcotics Anonymous
- Arizona Area Committee of Alcoholics Anonymous: AA Meeting List
- What is Substance Abuse? A Booklet for Families
- NIDA Principles of Treatment
- Addiction Resource
- Talk. They Hear You - Underage Drinking Prevention Resources
- Language Matters When Discussing Addiction
- Maricopa County Opioid Resource Center
ALCOHOL'S IMPACT ON HEALTH
- Alcohol’s Effect on the Body
- Fetal Alcohol Exposure – Drinking When You are Pregnant
- FACT SHEET: Alcohol Use and Your Health
- Alcohol and Your Health
- Alcohol Facts and Statistics
- Talking to Your Kids about Drugs and Alcohol
- Talking to Your Doctor about Drinking
- Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- Older Adults and Alcohol discusses some problems older people may have with alcohol, what you can do if you think you have a drinking problem and how your family and friends can help.
- Tragedy and Hope is a resource for educators and parents of middle school and high school students.